Palikir (päˌlēkĭrˈ) [key], town (2000 est. pop. 8,600), capital of the Federated States of Micronesia. Located in a heavily wooded region in the NW part of the island of Pohnpei, it replaced Kolonia (about 6 mi/10 km to the east) as the capital of Micronesia in 1989. The presidential and legislative offices as well as other governmental buildings were constructed in the 1980s. Palikir is on the site of a former airfield built by the Japanese when they occupied the island during World War II.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Palikir from Infoplease:
- Micronesia - Information on Micronesia — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Pohnpei - Pohnpei Pohnpei , state and island (1991 est. pop. 52,000), 129 sq mi (334 sq km), W Pacific, in ...
- Federated States of Micronesia - Micronesia, Federated States of Micronesia, Federated States of, independent nation (2005 est. pop. ...
- AUSTRALASIA AND OCEANIA - The sparsely populated continent of Australasia is made up of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and several nearby islands. It is the world’s
- Micronesia - World—Country Profiles U.S. Department of State Background Note Micronesia Women play ...