Oranjestad (ôränˈjəstätˌ) [key], town and port (1991 pop. 20,045), capital and administrative center of Aruba, in the Lesser Antilles. Oranjestad is a tourist destination with hotels and fine beaches; most of the island's population is concentrated here. A historical and archaelogical museum are here.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Oranjestad from Infoplease:
- Aruba - Information on Aruba — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Saint Eustatius - Saint Eustatius Saint Eustatius , island (1989 pop. 1,861), 8 sq mi (20.7 sq km), Netherlands ...
- Aruba - Aruba Aruba , island, autonomous part of the Netherlands (2005 est. pop. 71,600), 69 sq mi (179 sq ...
- MEXICO, CENTRAL AMERICA, AND THE CARIBBEAN - From the high, snowy mountains and hot, arid deserts of northern Mexico, south to the lush tropical forests of Nicaragua’s Atlantic coast, this is a r
- Encyclopedia: Caribbean Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Caribbean Political Geography.