Onega (ōnēˈgə, ōnāˈ–, Rus. ŭnyāˈgŭ) [key], river, c.260 mi (420 km) long, rising in Lake Lacha, NW European Russia, and flowing N into the Onega Gulf of the White Sea, SW of Arkhangelsk. It is navigable (May–November) except for the rapids in its middle course.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Onega from Infoplease:
- Lake Onega - Onega, Lake Onega, Lake, Finnish Aäninen, Rus. Onezhskoye Ozero, lake, c.3,800 sq mi (9,800 sq ...
- Onega: meaning and definitions - Onega: Definition and Pronunciation
- Karelia: meaning and definitions - Karelia: Definition and Pronunciation
- Svir - Svir Svir , river, c.140 mi (230 km) long, NW European Russia, flowing W from Lake Onega into Lake ...
- Vyg - Vyg Vyg , Finn. Uikujärvi, Rus. Vygozero, lake, c.300 sq mi (780 sq km), NW European Russia, ...