Olinda (ŏlēnˈdə) [key], city (1991 pop. 341,394), Pernambuco state, E Brazil, on the Atlantic Ocean. Founded in 1537, it was captured by the Dutch in the 1630s and burned to the ground. The rebuilt city served as a provincial capital until 1827. Olinda has a small crafts industry. Its reputation as a center of learning dates from 1796, when a Jesuit seminary was founded there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Olinda from Infoplease:
- Olinda: meaning and definitions - Olinda: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/olinda - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Inheritance (2001) - Starring Rita Cortese, Adrián Witzke, Martín Adjemián, Héctor Anglada, Eduardo Cutuli
- Recife - Recife Recife [Port.,=reef], city (1991 pop. 1,298,229), capital of Pernambuco state, NE Brazil, a ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Oeneus oenochoe oenology oenomel Oenone oenophile o'er oersted OES Oesel ...