Norwegian Sea, part of the Atlantic Ocean, NW of Norway, between the Greenland Sea and the North Sea. It is separated from the Atlantic by a submarine ridge linking Iceland and the Faeroe Islands, and from the Arctic by the Jan Mayer Ridge. The warm Norwegian Current gives the sea generally ice-free conditions.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Norwegian Sea from Infoplease:
- Norwegian Sea: meaning and definitions - Norwegian Sea: Definition and Pronunciation
- Vesterålen Islands: meaning and definitions - Vesterålen Islands: Definition and Pronunciation
- Seyðisfjörður - Seyðisfjörður Seyðisfjörður , town (1993 pop. 879), E Iceland, at the ...
- Neskaupstaður - Neskaupstaður Neskaupstaður , town (1993 pop. 1,619), extreme E Iceland, on the ...
- Trondheimsfjord - Trondheimsfjord Trondheimsfjord , inlet of the Norwegian Sea, c.80 mi (130 km) long, W central ...