Northumberland Strait, arm of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, c.200 mi (320 km) long and from 8 to 30 mi (13–48 km) wide, separating Prince Edward Island from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The strait is crossed by the Confederation Bridge, which was completed in 1997.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Northumberland Strait from Infoplease:
- Northumberland Strait: meaning and definitions - Northumberland Strait: Definition and Pronunciation
- Canso: meaning and definitions - Canso: Definition and Pronunciation
- Shediac - Shediac Shediac , town (1991 pop. 4,343), SE N.B., Canada, on Northumberland Strait. It is a resort ...
- Chignecto - Chignecto Chignecto , isthmus connecting N.S., Canada, with the Canadian mainland, between ...
- Summerside - Summerside Summerside, town (1991 pop. 7,474), SW Prince Edward Island, Canada, on Bedeque Bay, an ...