Namibe (nämēb) [key], formerly Mossamedes mōsäˈmədĕs, town (1987 est. pop. 77,000), SW Angola, a port on the Atlantic Ocean. Iron ore is the leading export; sisal, cotton, tobacco, frozen meat, hides, and skins are also significant.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Namibe from Infoplease:
- Namib Desert: meaning and definitions - Namib Desert: Definition and Pronunciation
- Namib - Namib Namib , desert, c.800 mi (1,290 km) long and from 30 to 100 mi (50–160 km) wide, SW ...
- Mossamedes - Mossamedes: Mossamedes: see Namibe.
- Swakopmund - Swakopmund Swakopmund , municipality (1991 pop. 17,681), W Namibia, on the Atlantic at mouth of ...
- Namaqualand - Namaqualand Namaqualand or Namaland, region, c.150,000 sq mi (388,500 sq km), SW Africa. It extends ...