Mwanza (mwänˈzä) [key], city (1994 est. pop. 260,000), capital of Mwanza prov., NW Tanzania, a port on Lake Victoria. Connected by rail with Dar-es-Salaam, the city handles much of Tanzania's trade with Kenya and Uganda, with which it is connected by boat. Industries include meatpacking, fishing, and the manufacture of textiles and soap. There is an institute for research in tropical diseases.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mwanza from Infoplease:
- Mwanza: meaning and definitions - Mwanza: Definition and Pronunciation
- Tabora - Tabora Tabora , city (1994 est. pop. 120,000), capital of Tabora region, W central Tanzania. It is ...
- Lake Victoria - Victoria, Lake Victoria, Lake, or Victoria Nyanza, largest lake of Africa and the world's ...
- Current Government Officials: Malawi - World > Heads of State Info Malawi Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments ...
- War Witch (Rebelle) - Starring Rachel Mwanza, Alain Lino Mic Eli Bastien, Serge Kanyinda, Mizinga Mwinga, Ralph Prosper