Muzaffarabad (mŏzŭfˈfəräbädˌ) [key], town, NW Kashmir, at the confluence of the Jhelum and Neelam rivers. It is the chief city and capital of Azad Kashmir, which is administered by Pakistan. Muzaffarabad is a trading center. Much of the city was destroyed by an earthquake in 2005.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Muzaffarabad from Infoplease:
- Kashmir - Kashmir Kashmir , region and former princely state, 85,714 sq mi (222,236 sq km), NW India, NE ...
- Encyclopedia: Pakistan and Bangladesh Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Pakistan and Bangladesh Political Geography.
- October 2005 Disasters - October 2005 Disasters Oct. 1, El Salvador: Ilamatepec volcano, the highest in El Salvador, ...
- December 2008 Current Events - December 2008 Current Events Here are the key news events of the month organized into three ...
- Pakistan - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Pakistan and find statistical and demographic information|Information on Pakistan — map of Pakistan, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, and the national flag.