Montego Bay (mŏntēˈgō) [key], city (1991 pop. 82,002), NW Jamaica. One of the most popular resorts in the Caribbean with highly developed tourism facilities, Montego Bay is also a port and commercial center. There is an active trade in sugar, bananas, coffee, and rum. The city has various light manufacturing industries.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Montego Bay from Infoplease:
- Montego Bay: meaning and definitions - Montego Bay: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jamaica: Economy - Economy Jamaica's most important export crop is sugarcane, from which rum and molasses are also ...
- Jamaica: Land and People - Land and People Although largely a limestone plateau more than 3,000 ft (914 m) above sea level, ...
- Jamaica - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Jamaica and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Jamaica — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Encyclopedia: Caribbean Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Caribbean Political Geography.