Monte Carlo (môNtāˈ kärlōˈ) [key], town (1982 pop. 13,150), principality of Monaco, on the Mediterranean Sea and the French Riviera. It is a tourist center noted for its world-famous gambling casino (built 1858) and for its scenery, fine villas, and luxurious hotels. In 1954 the concession came under the control of the Greek shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis but has since been returned to the Monaco government. Among the sporting events of the town are the famous Monte Carlo car rally, the Monaco Grand Prix, and the Monte Carlo Open tennis tournament.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Monte Carlo from Infoplease:
- Monte Carlo: meaning and definitions - Monte Carlo: Definition and Pronunciation
- Monte Carlo - Starring Selena Gomez, Leighton Meester, Katie Cassidy, Corey Monteith, Andie MacDowell
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/monte carlo - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Monaco - Information on Monaco — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Monaco: Land and People - Land and People Monaco's beautiful location, natural harbor, exceptionally mild climate, and ...