Mobile Bay, arm of the Gulf of Mexico, SW Ala., from 8 to 18 mi (12.9–29 km) wide, extending c.35 mi (56 km) from the Gulf to the mouth of the Mobile River. A ship channel connects Mobile Bay with the Gulf. The Intracoastal Waterway passes through the southern part of the bay. Mobile, Ala., is on the northwest shore. Admiral David Farragut, a Civil War naval hero, won the celebrated battle of Mobile Bay on Aug. 5, 1864.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mobile Bay from Infoplease:
- Mobile Bay: meaning and definitions - Mobile Bay: Definition and Pronunciation
- Farragut: meaning and definitions - Farragut: Definition and Pronunciation
- Tombigbee - Tombigbee Tombigbee , river, c.400 mi (640 km) long, rising in NE Miss. and flowing SE into W ...
- Mississippi Sound - Mississippi Sound Mississippi Sound, arm of the Gulf of Mexico, c.100 mi (160 km) long and from 7 ...
- John Adams Howell - Howell, John Adams Howell, John Adams, 1840–1918, American naval officer and inventor, b. ...