Mito (mēˈtō) [key], city (1990 pop. 234,968), capital of Ibaraki prefecture, central Honshu, Japan, on the Naka River. It is chiefly a communications center. It produces electrical machinery, iron and steel products, chemicals, furniture, and handicrafts. From 1606 Mito was the seat of a branch of the Tokugawa family. The city's Tokiwa Park is one of the greatest landscape gardens of Japan.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mito from Infoplease:
- Ibaraki - Ibaraki Ibaraki , prefecture (1990 pop. 2,845,411), 2,352 sq mi (6,092 sq km), central Honshu, ...
- Tsukuba - Tsukuba Tsukuba , city (1990 pop. 143,396) Ibaraki prefecture, central Honshu, E central Japan, 31 ...
- Dimity - Dimity A cloth said to be so called from Damietta, in Egypt, but really from the Greek di-mitos ...
- Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (Gamera 3: Iris kakusei) - Starring Shinobu Nakayama, Ai Maeda, Yukijiro Hotaru, Ayako Fujitani, Senri Yamazaki
- Encyclopedia: Japanese Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Japanese Political Geography.