Milazzo (mēlätˈtsō) [key], town (1991 pop. 31,541), NE Sicily, Italy, on a peninsula in the Tyrrhenian Sea. It is the ancient Mylae. The town is a wine-trade and tuna-fishing center and is the gateway to the nearby Lipari Islands. Garibaldi completed his conquest of Sicily by defeating (June, 1860) the Bourbon troops there. Milazzo has an imposing 13th-century castle (now a prison) and a 16th-century cathedral.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Milazzo from Infoplease:
- Milazzo: meaning and definitions - Milazzo: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mylae - Mylae Mylae , ancient port, NE Sicily, now Milazzo. It was settled by colonists from Messina. Here ...
- War Eagle, Arkansas - Starring Luke Grimes, Dan McCabe, Brian Dennehy, Mary Kay Place, Mare Winningham
- Joyce Carol Oates - Oates, Joyce Carol Oates, Joyce Carol, 1938–, American author, b. Lockport, N.Y., grad. B.A., ...
- June 16 Birthdays: Joyce Carol Oates - June 16 birthdays: Joyce Carol Oates, Stan Laurel, Edward Davy, Barbara McClintock