Mexicali (māhēkäˈlē) [key], city (1990 pop. 438,377), capital of Baja California state, NW Mexico, across the border from Calexico, Calif. Once noted chiefly as the center of a cotton- and cereal-raising area, it also has experienced since the late 20th cent. extensive construction of foreign-owned assembly plants called maquiladoras; the items produced in such plants include consumer electronics and high-technology products. The Autonomous Univ. of Baja California is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mexicali from Infoplease:
- Mexicali: meaning and definitions - Mexicali: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/mexicali - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Baja California: meaning and definitions - Baja California: Definition and Pronunciation
- Baja California, state, Mexico - Baja California Baja California , state (1990 pop. 1,660,855), 27,628 sq mi (71,576 sq km), NW ...
- Calexico - Calexico Calexico , city (1990 pop. 18,633), Imperial co., S Calif., at the Mexican border; inc. ...