Mercedes (mĕrsāˈħēs) [key], city (1996 pop. 39,139), capital of Soriano dept., SW Uruguay, a port on the Río Negro. An agricultural and livestock center, the city has a shipyard and several fine beaches and resorts. Tourism is an important industry. Mercedes was founded in 1781. It has a famous cathedral.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mercedes from Infoplease:
- Mercedes: meaning and definitions - Mercedes: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sera posible el sur: Mercedes Sosa - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- McCambridge, Mercedes - McCambridge, Mercedes actress Birthplace: Joliet, Ill. Born: 1916 Died: 2004 Information ...
- Rubén HINOJOSA - HINOJOSA, RubÃ©n (1940—) HINOJOSA, RubÃ©n, a Representative from ...
- The Sky Turns (El cielo gira) - Starring Elías Álvarez, Mercedes Álvarez, Peio Azketa, Hicham Chate, Cirilo Fernández