Menderes (mĕndĕrĕsˈ) [key], name of several rivers in Turkey. The Büyük Menderes is the ancient Maeander; the Küçük Menderes is the ancient Scamander.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Menderes from Infoplease:
- Menderes: meaning and definitions - Menderes: Definition and Pronunciation
- Adnan Menderes - Menderes, Adnan Menderes, Adnan , 1899–1961, Turkish prime minister (1950–60). In Jan., ...
- mender: meaning and definitions - mender: Definition and Pronunciation
- Scamander - Scamander Scamander , ancient name of the Küçük Menderes River, c.60 mi (95 km) ...
- Maeander - Maeander Maeander , ancient name of the Büyük Menderes River, c.250 mi (400 km) long, W ...