Matsumoto (mätsŏmōˈtō) [key], city (1990 pop. 200,715), Nagano prefecture, central Honshu, Japan. It is a market for silkworms and raw silk. Industries include computer components, food processing, machine-building, and textile manufacturing. The 17th-century Matsumoto castle is the oldest surviving castle in Japan. There are museums of folklore, folkcraft, and ukiyo-e prints.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Matsumoto from Infoplease:
- Shoko Asahara - Biography of Shoko Asahara, Founder of Japan's Aum Shinri-kyo religion
- Big Man Japan (Dai-Nipponjin) - Starring Hitoshi Matsumoto, Riki Takeuchi, Ua, Ryunosuke Kamiki, Haruka Unabara
- Dolls (2004) - Starring Miho Kanno, Hidetoshi Nishijima, Tatsuya Mihashi, Chieko Matsubara, Kyoko Fukada
- Tekkonkinkreet (Tekkon kinkurito) - Starring Yû Aoi, Yusuke Iseya, Kankurô Kudô, Sanchu Mori, Masahiro Motoki
- Perfect Blue - Starring Junko Iwao, Rika Matsumoto, Steve Bulen, Bambi Darro, Syd Fontana