Masbate (mäsbäˈtā) [key], island, 1,262 sq mi (3,269 sq km), the Philippines, one of the Visayan Islands, S of SE Luzon. Gold, which has been mined there for centuries, is still produced in quantity; copper is also mined. The densely populated coastal plains are intensively cultivated. The town of Masbate is the island's trading center.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Masbate from Infoplease:
- Masbate: meaning and definitions - Masbate: Definition and Pronunciation
- Visayan Islands: meaning and definitions - Visayan Islands: Definition and Pronunciation
- Visayan Islands - Visayan Islands Visayan Islands , large island group (1990 pop. 13,794,991), c.24,000 sq mi (62,160 ...
- The Philippines - Philippines, The Philippines, The , officially Republic of the Philippines, republic (2005 est. ...
- Encyclopedia: Philippines Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Philippines Political Geography.