| Share
 

Marly-le-Roi

Marly-le-Roi (märlēˈ-lə-rwä) [key], town (1990 pop. 16,775), Yvelines dept., N France, on the Seine River near Versailles. Nearby is the hamlet of Marly-la-Machine, where in 1682 a huge hydraulic engine, the machine de Marly, was built to supply the fountains of Versailles. Considered one of the wonders of the world, the engine was in use until 1804. In the town is a church (1689) built by J. H. Mansart.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.

More on Marly-le-Roi from Infoplease:

See more Encyclopedia articles on: French Political Geography


Premium Partner Content
HighBeam Research
Documents Images and Maps Reference
(from Newspapers, Magazines, Journals, Newswires, Transcripts and Books)

Research our extensive archive of more than 80 million articles from 6,500 publications.

Additional search results provided by HighBeam Research, LLC. © Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

24 X 7

Private Tutor

Click Here for Details
24 x 7 Tutor Availability
Unlimited Online Tutoring
1-on-1 Tutoring