Margate (märˈgĭt) [key], city (1991 pop. 53,137), in the Isle of Thanet, Kent, SE England. It is a seaport with light industries and, since the late 18th cent., a popular resort, especially for Londoners. Of interest is the Church of St. John the Baptist (partly Norman). Steamer service from London functions in the summer.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Margate from Infoplease:
- black margate: meaning and definitions - black margate: Definition and Pronunciation
- margate: meaning and definitions - margate: Definition and Pronunciation
- Margate - Margate (Kent), is the sea-gate or opening. (Latin, mare; Anglo-Saxon, mære, etc.) Source: ...
- Margate, Florida, Social Statistics - Florida Atlas Social Statistics Margate, Florida QuickFacts · Demographic · Economic ...
- Margate, Florida, Economic Statistics - Florida Atlas Economic Statistics Margate, Florida QuickFacts · Demographic · ...