Manamah, Al (äl mänämˈä) [key], town (1991 pop. 127,578), capital, commercial center, and largest city of Bahrain, on the Persian Gulf. It has oil refineries and light industries and is a free port. The National Museum and a Qur'an museum are in the town, and the command of the U.S. Fifth Fleet is based there. A causeway links the town with the island of Al Muharraq.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Al Manamah from Infoplease:
- Al Manamah: meaning and definitions - Al Manamah: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bahrain - Information on Bahrain — map and flag of Bahrain, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities
- Manama: meaning and definitions - Manama: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bahrain - Bahrain Bahrain or Bahrein, officially Kingdom of Bahrain, constitutional monarchy and archipelago ...
- Sheik Isa bin Salman al-Khalifa - Sheik Isa bin Salman al-Khalifa (Emir of Bahrain) Age: 65 leader of Bahrain since 1961 and an ...