Malindi (mälĭnˈdē) [key], town, SE Kenya, on the Indian Ocean. It is a beach resort and a commercial center. Probably founded in the 10th cent. by Arab traders, Malindi became an important city-state and a major port. The Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama landed there in 1498 and erected a monument that still stands. Nearby are the ruins of Gedi, an ancient walled city. South of the town lies a national park established to protect coral reefs and aquatic wildlife.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Malindi from Infoplease:
- By the People - Starring Doris Anne Sadler, David Woo, Robert Vane, Wendy Orange, Valerie Hurd Washington
- Encyclopedia: Kenyan Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Kenyan Political Geography.
- Vasco da Gama - Gama, Vasco da Gama, Vasco da , c.1469–1524, Portuguese navigator, the first European to ...
- Everything Relative - Everything Relative Director/Writer/Producer: Sharon Pollack Director of Photography: Zakaela ...
- Kenya: History - History Early History to Independence During the 1950s and 60s, the anthropologist L. S. B. Leakey ...