Maitland, city (1991 pop. 45,209), New South Wales, SE Australia, on the Hunter River. It is a railroad junction and agricultural center with light manufacturing. Maitland began as a convict settlement in 1824. The river has flooded in 1893, 1949, and 1955.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Maitland from Infoplease:
- Maitland: meaning and definitions - Maitland: Definition and Pronunciation
- William Maitland - Maitland, William Maitland, William (Maitland of Lethington), 1528?–1573, Scottish statesman. ...
- Frederic William Maitland - Maitland, Frederic William Maitland, Frederic William , 1850–1906, English legal historian, ...
- Lauderdale, John Maitland, duke of - Lauderdale, John Maitland, duke of Lauderdale, John Maitland, duke of , 1616–82, Scottish ...
- John Maitland - Maitland, John: Maitland, John: see Lauderdale, John Maitland, duke of.