Magadan (məgədänˈ) [key], city (1989 pop. 152,000), capital of Magadan region, Russian Far East, a port on the Sea of Okhotsk. It has shipyards, canning factories, and a major airport. A highway leads from Magadan to the gold-mining region on the upper Kolyma River. During the Stalin era, it was a major transit center for prisoners being sent to labor camps.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Magadan from Infoplease:
- Magadan: meaning and definitions - Magadan: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/magadan - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Dalmanutha - Dalmanutha Dalmanutha , in the New Testament, a place, probably on the W shore of the Sea of ...
- Sea of Okhotsk - Okhotsk, Sea of Okhotsk, Sea of , Rus. Okhotskoye More, 590,000 sq mi (1,528,100 sq km), northwest ...
- Kolyma - Kolyma Kolyma , river, c.1,500 mi (2,410 km) long, rising in several headstreams in the Kolyma and ...