Loire-Atlantique (lwär-ätläNtēkˈ) [key], formerly Loire-Maritime, department (1990 pop. 1,058,100), NW France, in S Brittany, on the Atlantic coast. The main cities are Nantes (the capital) and Saint-Nazaire.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Loire-Atlantique from Infoplease:
- Loire-Atlantique: meaning and definitions - Loire-Atlantique: Definition and Pronunciation
- Nantes: meaning and definitions - Nantes: Definition and Pronunciation
- Brittany - Brittany Brittany , Breton Breiz, Fr. Bretagne, region and former province, NW France. It is a ...
- Saint-Nazaire - Saint-Nazaire Saint-Nazaire , city (1990 pop. 66,087), Loire-Atlantique dept., W France, at the ...
- Nantes - Nantes Nantes , city (1990 pop. 252,029), capital of Loire-Atlantique dept., W France, on the Loire ...