Loa (lōˈä) [key], longest river of Chile, 275 mi (443 km) long, flowing S from the Andes, N Chile, then W and N through the Atacama Desert, before turning W to the Pacific Ocean. It is not navigable but affords some water supply and hydroelectric power for copper and nitrate-mining communities in its vicinity.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Loa from Infoplease:
- mauna loa: meaning and definitions - mauna loa: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mauna Loa - Mauna Loa Mauna Loa , mountain, 13,680 ft (4,170 m) high, in the south central part of the island ...
- halloa: meaning and definitions - halloa: Definition and Pronunciation
- hilloa: meaning and definitions - hilloa: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hawaii - Information on Hawaii — map of Hawaii, economy, government, culture, flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.