Lillehammer (lĭˈləhämər) [key], town (1995 pop. 24,170), capital of Oppland co., S Norway, at the northern end of Lake Mjøsa. It is a commercial center for the fertile Gudbrandsdalen valley and is a popular summer and winter resort. Its open-air museum, Maihaugen (founded 1887), features complete farms, peasant cottages, workshops, and handicrafts of the region. The town was the site of the 1994 Olympic winter games.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Lillehammer from Infoplease:
- Oppland - Oppland Oppland , county (1995 pop. 183,194), 9,773 sq mi (25,312 sq km), S central Norway. The ...
- Mjøsa - Mjøsa Mjøsa , largest lake of Norway, 141 sq mi (365 sq km), and 1,453 ft (443 m) ...
- Winter Olympics Memorable Moments: Tonya and Nancy - The Tonya and Nancy Scandal
- Winter Olympics Memorable Moments: The Jamaican Bobsled Team - The tropical island's first representative at the Winter Olympics
- Bonnie Kathleen Blair - Blair, Bonnie Kathleen Blair, Bonnie Kathleen, 1964–, American speed skater, b. Cornwall, ...