Liaoyuan (lyouˈyüänˈ) [key], city (1994 est. pop. 377,300), SW Jilin prov., China, on the railroad connecting Changchun and Dalian. It is a coal-mining center with a large thermal generating plant. Chemicals, plastics, and textiles are also produced. It was the capital of Liaobei prov. from 1945 to 1949; from 1949 to 1954 it was part of Liaodong prov.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Liaoyuan from Infoplease:
- Liaoyuan: meaning and definitions - Liaoyuan: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/liaoyuan - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Liaobei - Liaobei Liaobei or Liaopei, former province (c.47,000 sq mi/121,700 sq km), NE China. The capital ...
- Jilin, province, China - Jilin Jilin or Kirin, province (1994 est. pop. 25,150,000), 72,000 sq mi (186,528 sq km), NE China; ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index lev levade Levalloisian Levallois-Perret levant Levant dollar levanter Levantine ...