Kwajalein (kwäˈjälān, –lēn, –lĭn) [key], coral atoll, 6.5 sq mi (16.8 sq km), central Pacific, in the Ralik Chain of the Marshall Islands. The largest atoll of the Marshalls, Kwajalein, consists of a group of 97 islets surrounding a lagoon. A large Japanese naval and air base was located there during World War II, and after the U.S. conquest of the Marshalls (1944) U.S. military bases were established. A U.S. antimissile-missile test base is on Kwajalein.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kwajalein from Infoplease:
- Kwajalein: meaning and definitions - Kwajalein: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/kwajalein - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Marshall Islands - Information on Marshall Islands — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index KNP Knt. knub knubbly knubby knuck knuckle knuckle ball knuckleballer knucklebone ...
- Marshall Islands - Marshall Islands Marshall Islands, officially Republic of the Marshall Islands, independent nation ...