Kurgan (kōrgänˈ) [key], city (1989 pop. 356,000), capital of Kurgan region, W Siberian Russia, on the Tobol River. Kurgan is the important junction of the western branches of the Trans-Siberian RR. Its factories produce agricultural and road-building equipment, machine tools, and food products. Kurgan became a town in the 17th cent. There are many ancient burial mounds (Turkic Kurgan ) in the area.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kurgan from Infoplease:
- kurgan: meaning and definitions - kurgan: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/kurgan - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Tobol - Tobol Tobol , river, c.1,050 mi (1,690 km) long, rising in the Mugodzhar Hills, NE Kazakhstan. It ...
- Khulm - Khulm Khulm , formerly Tashkurganor Tash-Kurgan, town, N Afghanistan. It has extensive fruit ...
- Zeravshan - Zeravshan Zeravshan , river, c.460 mi (740 km) long, rising in the Turkistan Range of the ...