Komsomolsk (kəmsəmôlskˈ) [key] or Komsomolsk-on-Amur –ämŏrˈ, Rus. Komsomolsk-na-Amure, city (1989 pop. 315,000), Khabarovsk Territory, S Russian Far East, on the Amur River. It is a manufacturing center producing steel, machinery, refined oil, ships, aircraft, electrical goods, and wood products. Tin mines are nearby. The city was founded (1932) by the Komsomol (the Communist youth organization) with a great loss of life.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Komsomolsk from Infoplease:
- Komsomolsk: meaning and definitions - Komsomolsk: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/komsomolsk - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Khabarovsk Territory - Khabarovsk Territory Khabarovsk Territory, administrative division (1989 est. pop. 1,800,000), ...
- Amur - Amur Amur , Chin. Heilongjiang, river, c.1,800 mi (2,900 km) long, formed by the confluence of the ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index KNP Knt. knub knubbly knubby knuck knuckle knuckle ball knuckleballer knucklebone ...