Kolomyya (kələmĭˈyə) [key], Ger. Kolomea, Pol. Kołomyja, city (1989 pop. 63,000), W Ukraine, on the Prut River and in the Carpathian foothills. It is a rail junction and agricultural trade center. Industries include brewing, food processing, woodworking, light manufacturing, and winter tourism. First mentioned in 1240, Kolomyya was a Ukrainian settlement in the Halych-Volhynian principality. It passed in the 14th cent. to the Poles, who fortified it. Kolomyya was taken by Austria during the Polish partition of 1772 and became part of the newly independent republic of Ukraine in 1918 but reverted to Poland in 1920. It was incorporated into the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic in 1939.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: CIS and Baltic Political Geography