Kilimanjaro (kĭlˌĭmənjäˈrō) [key], highest mountain of Africa, NE Tanzania. An extinct volcano, it rises in two peaks, Uhuru (Kibo; 19,340 ft/5,895 m, Africa's highest point) and Mawenzi (17,564 ft/5,354 m), which are joined by a broad saddle (alt. c.15,000 ft/4,600 m). The mountaintop is noted for its snowcap, but the area covered by snow has decreased sharply since the early 1990s. Coffee and plantains are the chief crops raised on Kilimanjaro's intensively cultivated lower southern slopes. Tourism from mountain climbing has become an important source of revenue.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kilimanjaro from Infoplease:
- Snows of Kilimanjaro, The: meaning and definitions - Snows of Kilimanjaro, The: Definition and Pronunciation
- Kilimanjaro: meaning and definitions - Kilimanjaro: Definition and Pronunciation
- Snows of Kilimanjaro - Starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Susan Hayward, Hildegard Knef, Leo G. Carroll
- Climbing the Seven Summits - Climbing the Seven Summits About 350 mountaineers have climbed all "Seven ...
- World Land Areas and Elevations - The following table lists the approximate land area, highest elevation, and lowest elevation of the world's continents, including Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America, according to the World Atlas. Find more facts about world geography.