Kemerovo (kĕmˈərōˌvō) [key], city (1989 pop. 520,000), capital of Kemerovo region, central Siberian Russia, on the Tom River and on a branch of the Trans-Siberian RR. It is a coal-mining center of the Kuznetsk Basin, with important chemical and synthetic fiber industries. It was named Shcheglovsk from 1925 to 1932.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kemerovo from Infoplease:
- Kemerovo: meaning and definitions - Kemerovo: Definition and Pronunciation
- Kuznetsk - Kuznetsk Kuznetsk, Kemerovo Region, Russia: see Novokuznetsk.
- Tom - Tom Tom , river, c.525 mi (840 km) long, rising in the Alatau range, S Siberian Russia. It flows N ...
- Siberia: People - People The great majority of Siberia's population is made up of Russians and Ukrainians. ...
- Kuznetsk Basin - Kuznetsk Basin Kuznetsk Basin, coal basin, c.10,000 sq mi (25,900 sq km), W Siberian Russia, ...