Kayes (kāz) [key], town (1993 est. pop. 50,000), W Mali, a port on the Senegal River. It is the administrative and commercial center for a region where peanuts and gum arabic are produced. The town has tanneries and livestock is raised. Kayes lies at the upper limit of navigation on the Senegal and is an important rail terminus.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kayes from Infoplease:
- Kay: meaning and definitions - Kay: Definition and Pronunciation
- John Kay - Kay, John Kay, John, 1704–64, English inventor. He patented (1733) the fly shuttle, operated ...
- Nora Kaye - Kaye, Nora Kaye, Nora (Nora Koreff), 1920–87, American ballerina, b. New York City. Kaye ...
- Stubby Kaye - Stubby Kaye comic, singer sang “Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat” in the ...
- Kayes: meaning and definitions - Kayes: Definition and Pronunciation