Kalgoorlie (kălgŏrˈlē) [key], town (1991 pop. 25,016), Western Australia, SW Australia. It is the chief mining town of the state and the center of the East Coolgardie Goldfield. Gold was found at nearby Coolgardie in 1892; nickel is also mined. The Western Australia School of Mines (1902) was transferred (1903) from Coolgardie to Kalgoorlie.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kalgoorlie from Infoplease:
- Kalgoorlie: meaning and definitions - Kalgoorlie: Definition and Pronunciation
- East Coolgardie Goldfield - East Coolgardie Goldfield East Coolgardie Goldfield , Western Australia, SW Australia. It is the ...
- Western Australia - Western Australia Western Australia, state (1991 pop. 1,409,965), 975,920 sq mi (2,527,633 sq km), ...
- Coolgardie - Coolgardie Coolgardie, Australia: see East Coolgardie Goldfield; Kalgoorlie.
- Encyclopedia: Australian and New Zealand Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Australian and New Zealand Political Geography.