Julian Alps, mountain range, NE Italy and NW Slovenia, between the Carnic Alps and the Dinaric Alps, rising to 9,396 ft (2,864 m) in Triglav, the highest peak in Slovenia. The forested, glacier-scoured region is a popular resort area.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Julian Alps from Infoplease:
- Julian Alps: meaning and definitions - Julian Alps: Definition and Pronunciation
- Isonzo: meaning and definitions - Isonzo: Definition and Pronunciation
- Triglav - Triglav Triglav , peak, 9,392 ft (2,863 m) high, Slovenia, in the Julian Alps, near the Italian and ...
- Bled - Bled Bled , town, NW Slovenia. Situated in the Julian Alps and on the small Lake of Bled, it is a ...
- Isonzo - Isonzo Isonzo , river, 87 mi (140 km) long, rising in the Julian Alps, NW Slovenia, and flowing S ...