Ipoh (ēˈpō) [key], city (1991 pop. 468,765), capital of Perak state, Malaysia, central Malay Peninsula, in the Kinta River valley. A modern commercial town, it is a major tin-mining center. Nearby are rubber plantations and limestone quarries. The mine laborers and the population are mainly Chinese. The city has noted Chinese rock temples.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ipoh from Infoplease:
- Ipoh: meaning and definitions - Ipoh: Definition and Pronunciation
- Perak: meaning and definitions - Perak: Definition and Pronunciation
- Perak - Perak Perak , state (1991 pop. 1,880,016), 8,030 sq mi (20,798 sq km), Malaysia, central Malay ...
- Michelle Yeoh - Biography of Michelle Yeoh, Noble female warrior Yu Shu Lien in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
- Encyclopedia: Malaysia and Singapore Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Malaysia and Singapore Political Geography.