Ilan or I-lan (both: ēˈlänˈ) [key], city (1994 pop. 91,133), NE Taiwan. Located in an agricultural area, it is one of the largest rice markets in Taiwan. Fertilizers and wood and paper products are among the city's manufactures. The 8-mi (12.9-km) Hsuehshan Tunnel (opened 2006) was built to reduce road travel times from the Ilan area to Taipei and open NE Taiwan to greater development.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ilan from Infoplease:
- Columbia Crew Members - Profiles of the seven astronauts who perished on the Columbia
- Ramat Gan - Ramat Gan Ramat Gan , city (1994 pop. 122,200), W central Israel, adjacent to Tel Aviv. Founded in ...
- Cecil Roth - Roth, Cecil Roth, Cecil, 1899–1970, Jewish historian and educator, b. London. He was educated ...
- Six Days in June - Starring Levi Eshkol, Jamal Adel Nasser
- The Confusion of Genders (La Confusion des genres) - Starring Pascal Greggory, Julie Gayet, Nathalie Richard, Alain Bashung, Vincent Martinez