Hutt City, city (1996 pop. 95,871), S North Island, New Zealand, in the Hutt River valley, part of the greater Wellington urban area; formerly called Lower Hutt. Industries in the area include metalworking, engineering, textiles, and consumer products manufacturing. Several scientific research institutions are located here.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Hutt City from Infoplease:
- Upper Hutt - Upper Hutt Upper Hutt, city (1996 pop. 36,717), S North Island, New Zealand, in the Hutt River ...
- Wellington - Wellington Wellington, city (1996 pop. 157,647; urban agglomeration 334,051), capital of New ...
- Lower Hutt - Lower Hutt Lower Hutt, New Zealand: see Hutt City.
- New Zealand: Land and People - Land and People New Zealand comprises the North Island and the South Island (the two principal ...
- Encyclopedia: Australian and New Zealand Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Australian and New Zealand Political Geography.