Huelva (wĕlˈvä) [key], city (1990 pop. 141,002), capital of Huelva prov., SW Spain, in Andalusia, on the Odiel River above its junction with the Río Tinto. A busy port with copper, sulfur, and cork exports, it also has fishing, shipbuilding, oil refining, and summer resort industries. A Roman aqueduct supplies the city with water. Nearby La Rábida monastery, where Columbus made his plans, is a summer university.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Huelva from Infoplease:
- Huelva: meaning and definitions - Huelva: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/huelva - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Río Tinto - Río Tinto Río Tinto, Ríotinto, or Minas de Ríotinto, town (1990 pop. ...
- Palos de la Frontera - Palos de la Frontera Palos de la Frontera , town Huelva prov., SW Spain, in Andalusia, on the Tinto ...
- Andalusia, region, Spain - Andalusia Andalusia , Span. Andalucía, autonomous region (1990 pop. 7,100,060), 33,675 sq mi ...