Huangshi or Hwangshih (both: hwäng-shŭr) [key], city (1994 est. pop. 538,400), E Hubei prov., China, on the Chang (Yangtze) River. It is a new industrial center, built after 1950, with a giant iron and steel complex supplied with iron from the mines at Daye and with coking coal from Pingxiang. Other manufactures include cement, building materials, and textiles.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Huangshi from Infoplease:
- Pingxiang - Pingxiang Pingxiang or Pingsiang, city (1994 est. pop. 451,700), W Jiangxi prov., China. It is a ...
- Hwangshih - Hwangshih: Hwangshih: see Huangshi, China.
- Tayeh - Tayeh: Tayeh: see Huangshi, China.
- Hubei - Hubei Hubei or Hupeh, province (1994 est. pop. 56,560,000), c.72,000 sq mi (186,480 sq km), central ...
- Encyclopedia: Chinese and Mongolian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Chinese and Mongolian Political Geography.