Horta (hôrˈtə, Port. ôrˈtə) [key], town (1991 pop. 4,907), capital of Horta dist., in the Azores, Portugal, on Faial island. It has an excellent harbor with shipyards and is a military air base.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Horta from Infoplease:
- Horta: meaning and definitions - Horta: Definition and Pronunciation
- Horta, Victor, Baron - Horta, Victor, Baron Horta, Victor, Baron, 1861–1947, Belgian architect. The Tassel House in ...
- José Ramos-Horta - Ramos-Horta, José Ramos-Horta, José, 1949–, East Timorese independence advocate ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/horta - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Faial - Faial Faial , island (1991 pop. 15,155), 66 sq mi (171 sq km), in the N Atlantic, one of the ...