Honiara (hōˌnēärˈə) [key], town (2009 pop. 64,609), capital of the Solomon Islands. Located on Guadalcanal in the SW Pacific, Honiara was rebuilt to replace the former capital of Tulaghi at the end of World War II and occupies the site of an important American campaign against the Japanese. The town now has an expanded harbor, a reconstructed Government House, and a national museum.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Honiara from Infoplease:
- Honiara: meaning and definitions - Honiara: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/honiara - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Solomon Islands - Information on Solomon Islands — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Solomon Islands: meaning and definitions - Solomon Islands: Definition and Pronunciation
- Guadalcanal - Guadalcanal Guadalcanal , volcanic island (1992 est. pop. 63,633), c.2,510 sq mi (6,500 sq km), ...