Hilversum (hĭlˈvərsəm) [key], city (1994 pop. 84,213), North Holland prov., central Netherlands. It is the center of Dutch radio and television broadcasting; the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision is there. Manufactures include chemicals, machinery, carpets, metal goods, telephone equipment, and furniture.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Hilversum from Infoplease:
- Hilversum: meaning and definitions - Hilversum: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/hilversum - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- William Dudok - Dudok, William Dudok, William , 1884–1974, Dutch architect. Dudok developed a dignified, ...
- Hugo de Vries - de Vries, Hugo de Vries, Hugo , 1848–1935, Dutch botanist. He opened a new approach to the ...
- North Holland - North Holland North Holland, Dutch Noordholland, province (1994 pop. 2,457,300), c.1,080 sq mi ...