Hemel Hempstead (hĕmˈəl) [key], town (1991 pop. 80,110), Hertfordshire, SE England. Hemel Hempstead was designated one of the new towns in 1946 to alleviate overpopulation in London. It is a market town and London suburb. Manufactures include paper, electrical and light engineering products, office machinery, and photographic apparatus.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Hemel Hempstead from Infoplease:
- Hemel Hempstead: meaning and definitions - Hemel Hempstead: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hertfordshire - Hertfordshire Hertfordshire , county (1991 pop. 951,500), 631 sq mi (1,634 sq km), E central ...
- Hempstead - Hempstead Hempstead , town (1990 pop. 725,639), Nassau co., SE N.Y., on W Long Island. It surrounds ...
- December 2005 Disasters - December 2005 Disasters Dec. 5, Kalemie, Congo: A magnitude 6.8 earthquake, with the epicenter in ...
- Encyclopedia: British and Irish Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning British and Irish Political Geography.