Harstad (härˈstä) [key], town (1995 pop. 22,951), Troms co., NW Norway, on Hinnøya, the largest island of Norway. It is a fishing center and a bunkering place for coastal steamers and trawlers. Nearby is the fortified church of Trondenes (13th cent.).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Harstad from Infoplease:
- Harstad: meaning and definitions - Harstad: Definition and Pronunciation
- Lofoten and Vesterålen - Lofoten and Vesterålen Lofoten and Vesterålen , two contiguous island groups (1995 est. ...
- Gilbert Nelson HAUGEN - Gilbert Nelson HAUGEN (1859-1933) HAUGEN, Gilbert Nelson, a Representative from Iowa; born near ...
- Encyclopedia: Scandinavian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Scandinavian Political Geography.
- Norway - Information on Norway — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.