Harlow, city (1991 pop. 79,150) and district, Essex, E England. Harlow was designated one of the new towns in 1946 to alleviate overpopulation in London. It grew rapidly to become a significant residential and industrial city. Among its industries are metallurgy and printing as well as the manufacture of furniture and scientific and surgical goods. A technical college is in Harlow.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Harlow from Infoplease:
- Harlow: meaning and definitions - Harlow: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jean Harlow - Harlow, Jean Harlow, Jean, 1911–37, American movie star, b. Kansas City, Mo., as Harlean ...
- Shalom Harlow - Shalom Harlow model, TV personality Born: 12/5/1974 Birthplace: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada ...
- Jean Harlow - Jean Harlow (Harlean Carpenter) actress Born: 3/3/1911 Birthplace: Kansas City, Missouri Film ...
- Shapley: meaning and definitions - Shapley: Definition and Pronunciation