Hammerfest (häˈmərfĕst) [key], town (1995 pop. 9,561), Finnmark co., N Norway, on Kvaløy island. It is the northernmost town of Europe, but its harbor is always ice-free. Tourists are attracted by its uninterrupted daylight from May 17 to July 29. There are fish-processing plants. Chartered c.1795, Hammerfest was heavily damaged by British naval bombardment in 1809, by fire in 1890, and by retreating German forces in 1944.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Hammerfest from Infoplease:
- Hammerfest: meaning and definitions - Hammerfest: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/hammerfest - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Finnmark - Finnmark Finnmark , county (1995 pop. 76,668), 18,783 sq mi (46,648 sq km), N Norway, bordering on ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index H, h ha haaf Haag Haakon VII haar Haarlem Hab. Hába Habakkuk Habana ...
- Norway: Land and People - Land and People The coastline, c.1,700 mi (2,740 km) long, is fringed with islands (notably the ...